Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hattiesburg, MS

Steve and I just went on a trip to Hattiesburg, Mississippi for some more Katrina relief. Can you believe it? After 5 years, people still need help. We went with our church's Master's Builders group. We left friday night at 6PM and arrived around 10AM-ish in MS. Marv and Donna Helder were there to greet us! Sunday we went to a local church that had 12 people in the congregation! Can you imagine that?? There was literally 12 people! A 5 person choir! When we walked in, we tripled the congregation! It was pretty unbelievable. Some of the guys went driving around sunday afternoon and went by Tiger's rehab facility and Brett Favre's house. They were pretty psyched about it! Jenni, Jaclyn and I stayed back and did some hair and then took naps. (I know, a rambunctous crew)

Monday morning we started working. The guys went right away and us girls stayed back and planned the dinner for that night. We went to walmart to get the necessary groceries to make dinner. We went back to the camp, made dinner then headed out to join the guys.

We had two sites this year. One started as a concrete slab and one started as an open field. By the end of the week, one house was ready for drywall then paint, and the other was up and needed the roof on. I think they will be able to be livable pretty quickly! We got to learn about one of the homeowners. He is a single guy, about 60 years old. He lost some of his house in Katrina. By "some" I mean that his roof is half caved in. He is still LIVING in that house! He also has had some health issues and in now in a wheelchair. He has to drag himself up the stairs to get into his house! Can you imagine?? I wish I could see his face when he actually gets to move into the house we built with the RAMP into the front door. It's such a rewarding feeling, doing that for others.

On friday, after we got dinner ready in the morning, us girls went to see how we could help. We did a few odds and ends, but then most of the easy work had run out for us. So we decided to spend some time with Donna before we left. We went out for chinese food for lunch and then we headed over to the mall and got pedicures! It was the first time Donna had gotten one, so it was a real treat for her!

We had a great time that week. We had a lot of fun times and TONS of laughter! Talk to any of us girls and we will tell you about some serious inside jokes that we had!

And Now for Jaclyn, Jenni, Janelle and Donna:

Random Policeman we met at Cuppy's coffee: I been born and raised here in mississippi 32 years and I ain't seen snow... but 3 times!

Donna: We got all week!

Donna: Canoe Canoe!

Mason: I can't get any work done around here with all these girls in the way!

Jennie: Get your own corner!

Jennie: I'm going to go try and be victorious...

Jenni: Hey! Hey! You! You! I cuubafhydbaweuyvbinaskfe.......

Janelle: Those are Ginormous! Is that a word? I don't know, but I say it all the time!

Janelle: OMG Batman!

Jaclyn: I am Kanye's sister, Kan-Yeaka!

Jaclyn: Did she just say this is a sh*tty pan?
Jennie: No, she said Shine-y! Donna wouldn't say sh*t.
Donna: I say Sh*tty!

I love you girls!!

No comments: